Advanced search  
May 12, 2024, 06:39:05 AM
Login
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! (ongoing)  (Read 3183 times)

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
WAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! (ongoing)
« on: November 26, 2006, 12:19:26 PM »

I've been trying to model up a Warboss on a Bike for use in my KoS army for some time, now that my Ultramarines are 98% done, I can move on to my more Orky projects.  This is based off an awesome conversion I saw at the Baltimore Gamesday in 06, that took Second Place in the Staff Competition.  Seeing how it was done and that it 1.) Looked Great and 2.) Didn't require me to hack up a metal warboss and put it back together, I decided that I was going to use this conversion for myself. 

I'm quite pleased with how it all came out, painting will begin after I model a normal Biker Nob and convert up my next big addition: The Battlewagon!
I took out the old broken images in my Signature.

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
Re: WAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! (ongoing)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 09:02:20 AM »

Well, seeing as how I'm going to start getting ideas for the Boyz in line for the new Codex, and the first post includes a model that WILL be in many of my new armies, I figure it's time to resurrect this thread.

I will be organizing my thoughts and cataloging my model inventory and noting exactly how I'm going to "convert up" to get things ready for how I'll want to run the Orks in the new dex.

Given that when I started the boyz, so many moonz ago, I went for the horde slugga approach, which got worked out to be a KoS force eventually.  So here's what I got:

1x Mob of 11 Slugga Boyz, unpainted + accompanying painted up Nob with Power Klaw
This mob will work out perfectly "as-is" to be a dedicated Trukk Mob (new Trukk mob = 11 Boyz + PK Nob)

1x Mob of 9 Cyborks (heavily converted) + accompanying HQ/Nob with Power Klaw
Addition of 2 more Cyborks will have to be converted up to go with this squad and make it into a dedicated Trukk Mob, the "painboss" as he is will just count as another Power Klaw Nob.

1x Mob of 16 Shoota Boyz (which +4 special weapons = mob of 20 Flash Gitz)
This will be the first mob of potentially "done" shoota Boyz.  All they need is their very own dedicated Power Klaw Nob done up in their colors. Oh and probably another 10 Boyz too.

1x Mob of 16 Storm Boyz + PK Storm Boyz Nob
Storm Boyz will be featured heavily in the new book, especially with Zaagstrukk.  I'm not so sure I'm going to want 3 mobz of them, but 1 with Zaagstrukk is going to try and sneak its way into my lists quite a bit.  This mob needs 4 more Storm Boyz and they're good to go, maybe needing to re-do the nob a bit based on equipment Zaagstrukk actually has.

4x Mobz of 16 Slugga Boyz + accompanying painted up Nob with Power Klaw (which +3 special weapons = mob of 20)
Here's where the majority of the work and decision making needs to be done.  Some of these Boyz will move to 11 models strong and become dedicated Trukk Mobz, the excess will have their arms cut off and will be remodeled with Shootas attached (thank Gork & Mork I saved all those bitz!).  The question is "how many" I think 5 mobz of trukk boyz is enough, as that's what I run in my current Kult of Speed and indications are that I will probably run less trukk mobs in the new book.  I've already got two mobs dedicated to be trukk bound, so perhaps it'll work out like this:

3x Mobz of 11 Slugga Boyz + Power Klaw Nob - Trukkers

That leaves me 16 + (5x3) = 31 Slugga Boyz who can be converted over to Shoota Boyz.  Considering my Mobz of Shoota Boyz in the new book will be between 16-26 Boyz strong at the max, that leaves me with one whole squad and 5 more to send over to the already complete Shoota Boyz mob.   I already have one PK Nob left over from the above breakout, so they'll already have that equipped.

Of course now I need to figure out how I'm going to do the special weapon options & a few other fiddly bits like re-organizing mobz out and getting potential new mobz of Tankbusta Boyz (all rokkits) or Lootas (all Autocannon equivalents).  I'll have to work it out in another post.

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:03:15 AM »

So now that a picture of the Ork Codex Summary page went and gave about a ton of credibility to the Ork rumors posted, I'm getting a much more clear picture of what the army is going to look like rules wise and how I'm going to move forward with MY personal WAAAAGGGHHH

HQ

GOAL
Ghazgul

HAVE
Zilch

NEED
Ghazgul's Model.  This I'll probably buy off Bob, because the cost in store is stupid as hell.  I'm not all that interested in his rules, I mean they're decent, but I'm not sure if I'll use him a lot outside of like huge games.  Other than that, I've always wanted this model and if I'm going to go nuts on buying/building/painting Orks again, this guy is coming in.

ELITES

GOAL
At least 10-15 Lootas

HAVE
Zilch

NEED
3 Box's of Lootas/Burnas

Need to confirm if this kit is plastic, seeing as the same box builds both types of unit, I can combine the Burna Bitz with all the regular Boyz sprues and fill out a Burna Squad.

GOAL
10-15 Tankbustas (Tentative)

HAVE
Zilch

NEED
3 Box's of the new Tank Bustas.  I dunno about this one, I may end up converting my own anyway and skipping the box or I may not like their points and can end up not using them.

GOAL
Unit of Mega Armored Nobz

HAVE
Zilch

NEED
At least 5 or 6 Mega Armored Nobz

Just because it's about damn time I just bought the models that I think are awesome

TROOPS
GOAL
4x 26 Shoota Boyz + 1 Nob with Power Klaw + 3 Rokkits = 4 Mobz of 30 Shoota Boyz with PK Nob and 3 Rokkits = 120 Models

HAVE
2x 26 Shoota Boyz + 3 Rokkits

This is using the 6 Metal Rokkit Boyz I have now.

NEED
This means I need 2x 26 Shoota Boyz + 3 Rokkits, and 4x Nobz with Power Klaws

Looking at the new Sprues this means I'll need 6 new Sprues for the Orks.  Each sprue set includes 10 Boyz, 1 Rokkit, 1 Big Shoota, and the Bits for a Power Klaw Nob (Nob uses same leg bits as a normal Boy).

This lets me assemble 52 Shoota Boyz with the 6 Rokkits I need, along with 2 Power Klaw Nobz.  I'll also have the Nob Head/Torso/PK Bitz to combine with two other Leg Bitz from other purchases to get me the extra 2 PK Nobz I need.

GOAL
5x 11 Slugga Boyz + Power Klaw Nob + Trukk Transport

HAVE
5x 11 Slugga Boyz + Power Klaw Nob + Old Ugly Trukk Transport

NEED
5 Gorgeous New Trukk Models

FAST ATTACK

GOAL
19x Storm Boyz + Power Klaw Nob/Zaagstruk Character

HAVE
16 Storm Boyz + Power Klaw Nob/Zaagstruk Character

NEED
3 Storm Boyz

Sad thing is that there looks like there won't be any new plastics released for this mob, so I'm probably going to bite it and buy a box of the current metal ones now, build 3 as Storm Boyz, and use the Bitz for other Boyz.  This will give me the two sets of Legs I'm going to need to build the 2 Power Klaw Nobz still needed in the Troops section as well as some more bitz which you ALWAYS need as an Ork player.

GOAL
Buggies with....whatever option I like from the new Dex

HAVE
3 Beat up, tiny, ugly ass Gorka-Morka Buggies.
5 old, ugly Gorka-Morka Trukks

NEED
Well no purchases necessary here since GW isn't putting out a new buggy kit.   I hate the current buggies I have, Luckily I got them on the super cheap. The Trukks seem like a waste to me, so I had the idea:

Rip out crappy drivers, replace with Ork boy torsos - should have done this ages ago. 
Figure out what weapon options I want on my Buggies (I'm praying for the Grabba Klawz to be mountable on Buggies, just to piss off the multitude of Holofield/Falcon players at the shop).
Convert the Trukks to be new Buggies.

Can likely use 3 Whirlwind sprue's I bought for the Marines that I no longer want to use for them to convert some "Rokkit Buggies" that'll be nice and Beefy and Orky.  Gonna be sweet.

GOAL
Uhhh Bikes?  I don't really want them rules wise, but the new models are pretty, but I don't want to go out and purchase "Bikes".

HAVE
5 Old crappy Bikes, 2 new in Boxs, and 1 with PK modeled on - Effectively Zilch

FALL INTO MY LAP
Probably a couple of the new Bikes since I'm planning on doing an army deal and probably a battleforce box to get all the stuff I need on the cheap.  So I'll end up with a few bikes most likely.

HEAVY SUPPORT

GOAL
3 Battlewagons w/ Ordinance Weapons

HAVE
2 Leman Russ's and 1 Basalisk

NEED
Time to model plasticard bitz on em to beef them up and Orkify them a little bit.  Zero GW Purchases.

GOAL
Model my Killa Kanz w/ Rokkits

HAVE
4 Kanz, 1 with Rokkits

NEED
Time to cut up the current weapons on the Kanz and model on some Rokkit bits that I already have.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:07:19 AM by jhendrix »

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:21:13 AM »

Probable Purchases:

1- Ork Army Box - ~$200

Rumor has 30 Boyz (or 3 Sprue's)
3 Bikes
Trukk
Codex
*other stuff*

Depending on what Other Stuff there is, I'll probably be biting on this just to get the Dex early.  That and with the Trukk, 30 Boyz, and probably one of the new plastic box sets for the regular Boyz it'll be worth it.

2- Ork Battleforce - $90
Has 20 Boyz (2 Sprue's), Trukk, 3 Bikes

This saves me from buying 2 Box's of new Boyz and a Trukk, that alone makes the savings worth it to buy the battle force.

3- 3x Ork Trukks - $90 (3x$30)
The last set of Trukks that I'll need.

4- Box of Ork Boyz ($25)

5- 3x Box's of Lootas/Burnas ($60)
Quantity depends on if I get any with the Army Deal

6- Ghazgul - $35

7- 5x Mega Armored Nobz ($60)

Subtotal - $560

Conclusion - I'm god damned insane!!!

Second thought, Well I can Snag the Army Box and battle force for XMas, since all I really want for XMas is the Army Deal.  I'll probably have a little bit of cash left over so that should nab me the Battleforce.

That still leaves me with too much crap to buy.  And then I have to paint/build it.

Yeah, I'm still insane.

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »

Proposed Total Army Roster

Shoota Boyz
4 Mobz of 30 Shoota Boyz, 3 Rokkits Per mob (2 Mobs may take 3 Big Shootas instead), with Power Klaw Nob
120 Models

Speed Freaks
5 Mobz of 12 Slugga Boyz with PK Nob in Trukks
60 Models
5 Vehicle Models

20 Storm Boyz w/ PK Nob/Zaagstruk
20 Models

5 Buggies of Varying Configuration
5 Vehicle Models

11 Bikes - 2 Power Klaw Nobz
11 Models

Heavies

4 Battlewagons - 3 Ordinance, 1 Transport/Big Gun Wagon
4 Vehicle Models

4 Killa Kanz - All w/ Rokkits
4 Vehicle Models

Elites/HQ
1 Stock Boss with Power Klaw
1 Mek with Kustom Force Field
1 Biker Warboss with Power Klaw
1 Ghazgul Thrakka

6 Mega Armored Nobz
15 Lootas
24 Burna Boyz

49 Models

Subtotal

260 Models
18 Vehicle Models

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 12:16:46 PM »

Sanity is for the weak
- Dawn of War

This is why we use the Project Log forum to put down our goals and ideas.  Seeing that eventual "goal" and the dollar amount tied with it is enough of a shock that makes me re-think the above plans.

The eventual "goal" is the same, it's just the purchase plan to get there.  That's going to be the stickler. 

New plan: Spread Purchases out over time, in smaller more manageable chunks. 

Purchase Set in January:
Codex $22
5 New Trukk Models $150
Box of Storm Boyz - $35

No need for the big box's of stuff.  This here will do just fine. Build and paint the new Trukks, model up the Tanks, paint the Boss on bike and all the other backlog of mobz that I have to do.  Also convert the buggies and convert the excess Slugga Boyz mentioned in the first post to Shootas giving me an effective Kult of Speed army and the option for a decent mixed footslogger/KoS list.

That's a LOT of work.

Then over time I start making purchases of fun stuff:
Lootas/Tankbustas
Ghazghkull
Mega Armored Nobz
60 More Shoota Boyz

That's plenty of stuff to move forward with over time. 

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »

Reading the apocalypse book, I'm getting the itch to build stuff.  Scratch build stuff, starting with converting the looted tanks into battlewagons.

Then I'm thinking about ressurecting "Muffin, Kookie, and Kupcake" as Squiggoths, and maybe if that goes well I may scratch build a Stompa.

Planning must be done.

You're all welcome.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 18 queries.