Advanced search  
May 11, 2024, 01:27:41 PM
Login
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultramarines - Second Company  (Read 5453 times)

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
Ultramarines - Second Company
« on: November 02, 2006, 08:48:01 AM »

Ultramarines Second Company

I figured since I?m getting ever closer to my goal of finishing the Marine army to it?s completion I could put up a thread detailing the current status, progress, and goals for the army.

I figure I?ll put up a current Inventory.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Infantry of Second Company
Tactical & Devastator Squads
40 Space Marines w/ Bolters
2 Space Marines w/ Flamers
5 Space Marines w/ Meltaguns
5 Space Marines w/ Plasmaguns
5 Space Marines w/ Lascannons
5 Space Marines w/ Missile Launchers
1 Space Marine with Plasma Cannon
1 Space Marine with Heavy Bolter
4 Veteran Sergeants with Power Fists
1 Veteran Sergeant with Power Weapon + Plasma Pistol
2 Veteran Sergeants with Power Weapon + Bolt Pistol
2 Sergeants with Bolt Pistol + Chain Sword
3 Ultramarine Honor Guard w/ Bolter + Axe of Ultramar (Power Weapon)

Assault Marine Squads
13 Assault Marines w/ Bolt Pistol + Chain Sword
4 Assault Marines w/ Plasma Pistol + Chain Sword
2 Veteran Sergeants w/ Power Fist + Bolt Pistol

Detachments from Ultramarines First Company
3 Space Marine Terminator Sergeants with Power Weapon + Storm Bolter
6 Space Marine Terminators w/ Power Fist + Storm Bolter
6 Space Marine Terminators w/ Power Fist + Assault Cannon

Command
Space Marine Chaplain w/ Jump Pack, Crozarius and Bolt Pistol
Space Marine Librarian in Terminator Armor w/ Force Weapon + Storm Bolter

Vehicle Support of the Second Company
Internment of the Heroes
2 Dreadnaughts
- Modularized
--Twin Linked Lascannon
--Missile Launcher
--Assault Cannon
--Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon + Storm Bolter ?or- Heavy Flamer

Land Speeder Detachment
3 Land Speeder Tornados
-Heavy Bolter + Assault Cannon

Rhino Standard Template Construct Vehicles
The Blessings of the Omnisiah have bestowed Second Company with a Modular Rhino STC Chassis that can be patterned into any of the following Configurations:

Rhino Transport
-Storm Bolter

Predator Tank
-Destructor Pattern w/ Autocannon
-Annihilator Pattern w/ Twin Linked Lascannon
Lascannon ?or- Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Orbital Relay Deployment Systems
8 Drop Pods

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I took out the old broken images in my Signature.

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
Re: Ultramarines - Second Company
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 08:51:30 AM »

Progress
All models are painted except the Drop Pods and two of the Honor Guard. 

All models require basing and transfers to be applied. 

Part of the reason for this thread was to discuss how I?d do the Symbols and squad markings.

I?m all about fielding a large variety of forces with what I got as this is more of a gaming force than it is something for collection or anything.  As such I want to be able to mix weapons and basic marines between Devastator and Tactical squads.  I?m trying to keep things as neutral as I can when it comes to markings.

Obviously all Marines in Power Armor will get the Ultramarines symbol on their left shoulder guard.  The right shoulder guard is where the questions come into play.

All bolter marines will get the Troops Arrow Marking and then a number transfer to indicate which squad is which.  I have 40 Bolter Marines, so I?m thinking 5 separate squads of 8 will be done from the Bolter Marines, this lets me throw down a good number of squads while at a minimum giving them a sergeant of some kind and either a special or heavy weapon.  Alternatively if I want to do 10 Marines without a sergeant (or a Vet Sarge with just a bolter) I can just throw in the heavy and special and I?m good.

Now for Special weapons they will not be marked with a troops arrow marking but just a Skull Marker, or the Ultramarine Symbol with a Skull embedded in it.  No squad numbers will be applied as I want to be able to mix and match on load outs. 

The Heavy Weapons I?m debating between giving them a similar marking OR just giving them the Heavy Support arrow mark and then just throwing them into the tac squads as is.  I would imagine that when they throw heavy weapons into tactical squads that they?d actually train as Devastators and get assigned to tactical squads for when commanders deemed it necessary for more Heavy Weapon Support.  Or I could just throw the skulls on the other shoulder pad, but I?m leaning towards the Heavy Arrow.  I?d appreciate some feedback on this.

Veterans will get the skull mark.  Power Fist Sarges will get a number to assign them to a squad, other sarges will not be numbered.

Terminators will get the simple Ultramarines Symbol on their right shoulder pads.  Possibly getting the squad number on the pad as well ?or- it will get put on their right knee.  Not sure if I want to do that or throw a skull on their knee pads and throw the squad number on their shoulder pads.

Vehicle markings are pretty standard fare.  I may try and paint an arrow across the two Rhino top hatches as I think that looks pretty badass. 

Model Basing will be a relatively simple affair.  Glue, use aquarium sand to coat the base, paint black, light drybrush of grey on top of that.  Base edges will be painted black.

Pods are going to be more troublesome than I envisioned.  They?re not going to have a large gap between the top half of the pod and the latter half of the pod. The glue just isn?t good enough.  So there will be a small gap, painted black.  The Top will be a dark blue and the bottom will be done in metal.  I want to get at least two large Ultramarine symbols on the pods, but I think I?ll have to paint it out rather than use a transfer.  I?ll probably use a template to get it painted right but I?m not sure if I can pull it off.  Maybe someone with an airbrush could help?:p

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:03:04 AM »

Unassembled Inventory:
1 Box of Assault Marines

Plan ? 5 Marines in the Box, assembly will be as follows: one more Power Fisted Veteran Sergeant, 2 Assault Marines w/ Flamers, 2 Normal Assault Marines w/ BP+CCW.

Goal ? With the last set of assault marines I will be able to field 3 Squads of 8 Marines with a Power Fisted Sergeant and two Special Weapons.  I prefer squads of 8 when I?m strapped for points or if I?m going to build optimized lists.  Otherwise I?ll field them in squads of 10 with the two weapons, but I can?t see ever taking 3 Squads of 10 so I don?t want to buy another box of the guys.

Expected Inventory (Expectus X-Masicus):
Land Raider Crusader
5 Assault Terminators
2 Predator Tanks

Plan ? Land Raider
Magnets will rule the day here.  My goal is to completely magnetize the kit to move between a standard Land Raider and a Crusader.  This includes magnetizing the grenade launchers on the front of the treads for the Crusader.  It?s unclear if I can figure out a way to magnetize the sponsors, but I?ll try my best. 

Plan ? Assault Terminators
Magnets, again.  These guys are for fun and I will want to run them in different configurations, so I?ll be magnetizing all Storm Shields, Thunder Hammers, and Lightning Claw arms. 

Plan ? Predator Tanks
More Magnets, I should look into starting a brotherhood or something. These will double as Rhinos or any variant of the Predator Tank per the current setup I have.  Future Goals include buying the sprues to be able to field up to 3 Whirlwinds.

Future purchases and ideas

I don?t like the model a whole lot, but since I am doing Second Company I may just pick up the Sicarius model for completeness sake.  I just don?t like Space Marines who don?t have helmets on.  Partly because I?m not good at painting flesh, and because I don?t like the idea in general.  Still he may be worth the effort to have.

I?m definitely going to buy the Commander Box set, too many good bits and I?d want a Commander model to field with the Marines that I like.  Possibly may get magnetized up.

I?m also tempted to just do a Veterans squad.  The reason I?m against it at the moment is that while I really like the Vet Models with Lightning Claws, and the Power Weapon, and even the normal ones with a Bolt Pistol + CCW, I hate the Power Fisted Sarge model in the box set (see hatred of Space Marines w/o Helmets).  The Problem is that I love the robes on em, and I can?t just buy two boxes of Vets, so I need to either buy one box set, fix the head on the sarge, and then bits order 5 more of the other TWO models they have with the robes and just a bolt pistol + ccw.  That gets expensive and samey, and I?m not skilled enough to do models with green stuff.  I may look into nabbing some of the Dark Angels models with robes on, they are getting stuff after Xmas so that may prove interesting to get models from to do a Veterans Squad.

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »

One of the things that made me happy about deciding to go with pure Ultra Marines instead of using traits was that I just love the whole fluff of the chapter and you get some REALLY nice models IMO: Honor Guard.

I love these guys, their fluff, their models, and their general badassery.

So I'm trying to get some painting in now, I figured I'd put up some progress.  I have 3 models, two are the same and one is the variant version.  Here are pics of the two that are the same, one in the first stages of basing and the other one is just a few touch ups away from being done:

Hoping to throw these guys around in our bigger point battles.  Their rules aren't so hot but they're too awesome looking to not field.

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 08:28:27 PM »

Finished the second Honor Guard that was actually the same model as the first. Finally going to get to the final Honor Guard this Friday and then move towards basing and transfers.

You're all welcome.

DogmaRaider

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier General
  • Custodia apud Porta Mali
    • DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »

Very nice indeed. ;)
Regimental General Marcus Aurelius Tiberius
Supreme Commander - Imperial Cadian 1st Gatekeepers
Custodia apud Porta Mali

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 08:55:19 PM »

Their motto is Courage and Honor.

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 08:47:16 PM »

Got Bolters?

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 11:32:25 PM »

And so the Emperor gave the Sons of Gulliman ARMOR for XMas day...

And we know that EVERYONE loves the S10 AP2 Pie Plate  >:D

You're all welcome.

DogmaRaider

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier General
  • Custodia apud Porta Mali
    • DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 12:25:17 AM »

I like it.  It just MEAN looking...  >:D  Though when you not looking I'm going to steal that little radar dish.. damn I need more of those.  Did you magnetize the Crusader like you wanted to?
Regimental General Marcus Aurelius Tiberius
Supreme Commander - Imperial Cadian 1st Gatekeepers
Custodia apud Porta Mali

Tavus

• Standard User
  • Chief Warrant Officer 2
  • Crypt Keeper Offensive Theater Overseer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 12:42:07 AM »

Looking good.  I only have one sugesstion: remove the peaks from the center cuppula.  The peaks scream SoB, not Adeptus Astartes.  Either way, looks good.
Only the Insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper can judge what is sane.

"Daves Third Law of Anger: For every action there is an even greater but completely painful reaction..."

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 02:33:47 PM »

I didn't magnetize the Crusader, it was just going to be too much of a bitch and I figure if I ever want to use it as a normal LR over a LRC, you guys wouldn't mind the small proxy. ;)

I'm going to put a little more work on the Vindicator, I put the headlights on it (can't believe I forgot to put them on my finished pred too).  I'm going to investigate the clipping of the spikes up top like moe said. 

Also I'm going to double check but I may be getting a few extra of those radar dishes with the rhinos I ordered and I should have another one from the pred I'm about to magnetize.  Any other ones I get are all yours.

You're all welcome.

jhendrix

• Extreme Lotus
  • Standard User
  • General
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 07:56:28 PM »

All Painted Squads of Marines are marked with Ultramarine Symbols as well as appropriate arrow markings and accepting special and heavy weapons, are numbered into squads.

Ultramarine Projects to do to get to "Completion":
Painting:
Assault Terminators
Terminator Chaplain
2 Rhinos
1 Magnetized Pred
1 Vindicator
1 Land Raider Crusader  :'(
Finish painting the Dread Bases.

Assembly:
Customized New Terminator Squad (Magnetized to field Cyclone Missile Launchers, but options to add two assault cannons IF I so desire).
Veteran Squad - I have enough bits to build up a vet squad easily w/ BP+CCW and some special options (power weapon, PF, LC's, etc)
Commander.

I may hold off on the assembly portion as I view them as "non critical" at the moment.

You're all welcome.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.